DIRECT STUDENT LOANS
The Direct Loan Program provides financial aid through borrowing funds from the U.S. Department of Education. Any Student Loans will be submitted to the National Student Loan Data Systems (NSLDS). Repayment begins six months after the borrower leaves college or drops below half-time status. Loans are either subsidized (interest-free) loans or unsubsidized (low-interest) loans.
Applying for a Student Loan
- Before applying for a direct student loan:
- You must have completed the current year’s FAFSA form and have turned in all of the necessary information to the Financial Aid Office.
- You must obtain an active FSA ID from www.fsaid.ed.gov .
- Once you have completed the steps above, go to www.studentloans.gov .
- Sign in using your FSA ID.
- Complete the Entrance Counseling (make sure to choose Northeast Alabama Community College from the drop down menu).
- Complete the Master Promissory Note
*Make sure you complete BOTH steps 2 & 3*
- Register for classes (you must be pre-registered for at least 6 semester hours).
- You must wait 24 hours then come in to the Financial Aid Office to sign a loan counseling form.
**Students can access their loan information at NSLDS.**