Northeast Alabama Community College sponsors a number of outreach opportunities for career exploration and STEM enrichment. Events include:
Summer STEM Experience - LOOK FOR 2019 INFO COMING SOON!
The 2018 Summer STEM Experience will be held June 11-15 on the NACC campus. Times vary depending on the camp. The cost of each camp is $59, which includes lunches each day. Participants will show off what they've learned at a completion celebration held the evening of June 15. Camp selections include:
- Advanced Manufacturing & Fabrication
- The Advanced Manufacturing & Fabrication camp is open to rising 7th - 10th graders and will take place in the Industrial Systems Technology Building from 8:00am-3:00pm
- During this workshop, you will make one or two projects using advanced manufactoring and fabrication techniques.
- Exploring Programming for Arduino
- The Exploring Programming for Arduino camp is open to rising 9th through 12th graders and will take place in the Math, Science, Engineering, and Technology Center from 9:00am-4:00pm
- Arduino is an open-source electronics platform based on small, easy-to-use hardware and software. Arduino boards are able to read inputs - light on a sensor, a finger on a button - and turn it into an output - activating a motor, turning on an LED, making sounds. Students will get first-hand experience learning the basics of programming on the Arduino platform. Each day a new programming skill will be learned in the morning with several projects to practice in the afternoon, all in a relaxed “summer camp” atmosphere.
- Project-Based Design Camp- Shark Tank Edition
- Robotics Camp
- The Robotics camp is open to rising 5th-8th graders and will be held from 9:00am-4:00pm
- During this camp, students will learn to build, program and operate simple robots.
Download the registration form and mail it in with your check to register for any of these camps. Deadline to register is June 1, 2018.
Summer STEM Workshops - LOOK FOR 2019 INFO COMING SOON!
Summer STEM Workshops are one-day intensive training sessions that are offered at no charge. Registration is accomplished online by clicking on the links below. Please register only if you plan to attend, as there are a limited number of seats available. If you decide not to attend, please cancel your registration online so that those on the waiting list may be invited to attend. Deadlines are shown on registration page. Workshops include:
Contact Hannah Crawford at 256-638-4418, ext. 2254 with any questions. Registrations are accepted on a first come, first served basis.
Unfortunately, we are unable to accommodate special dietary needs on complimentary lunches.
Northeast Alabama BEST Robotics provides opportunities for students grades 5-12 to become competent and confident in applying math, science, technology and engineering principles to real-life challenges. This culminates in the Fall when teams are judged on oral presentation, educational display, spirit, sportsmanship, interview skills, engineering notebook, and robot performance. Teams winning at the local level are eligible to compete in the regional competition at Auburn.
All required materials and supplies are provided to participating schools by Northeast Alabama BEST, which also provides access to technical support and mentoring to BEST Teams. Visit our website to learn more. (external link)
Sample Engineering Notebook
For more than two decades, the Alabama Council for Technology in Education has served students, teachers, and administrators in Alabama. The flagship of the ACTE is its annual technology fair, where students compete from across the state to demonstrate their technology awareness, showcase their talents, and measure their proficiency in educational applications.
The Northeast Alabama Region Fair was held at Jacksonville State University for a number of years. The Fair moved Northeast Alabama Community College in 2014. Visit our website to learn more. (external link)
2018 Winners List
Release form for STEM Outreach Programs
2019 Northeast Region Rules
ACTE Fair Notebook Requirements
2019 Information Letter for Teams